When pest birds gather and roost in, on or near human habitable areas, they can quickly pose a number of health and safety hazards. A single pigeon, for example, can excrete up to 25 pounds of droppings every year. Without effective bird control measures, these droppings usually end up on floors, grounds and exterior structures. This poses an alarming health risk, since the bacteria, fungal agents and ectoparasites in droppings and nesting materials have been known to carry any of 60 known diseases—including histoplasmosis, encephalitis, salmonella, meningitis, and toxoplasmosis, even the West Nile virus.
Perhaps even more insidious is the bird fecal dust carried into buildings through rooftop heating, ventilation and air-conditioning ducts. Pigeons and other pest birds naturally like to gather around air handling equipment—like HVAC vents. Dried by wind and sun, this disease-infested dust gets sucked into HVAC systems. The fine particles can spread a number of diseases throughout an entire building.
Anyone working around dried bird droppings can inhale the infected dust and succumb to the bacteria, fungal agents and ectoparasites previously mentioned. Even walking on these droppings can cause them to be carried inside buildings to affect the health of those inside.
To help prevent the problems bird droppings can cause, building and maintenance managers must take steps to remove this disease carrying waste. Before implementing any type of bird control measure, it’s important to consult a bird control professional like Animal Traps and Supplies. They can recommend the right combination of products and PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) to get the job done right. These include:
- Microcide SQ. This broad spectrum hospital grade cleaner can be used for cleaning, disinfecting, and deodorizing surfaces soiled with bird droppings. Microcide SQ is an EPA approved disinfectant effective against 108 different disease causing viruses, bacteria, yeast and mold.
- Coveralls. Ideal for cleaning up the dirtiest of jobs.
- Gloves. Vinyl, Latex, and Nitrile Gloves, we have them all at A.T.S.
- 3M 6000 Series Half-Face Respirator. Provides respiratory protection against particulates to protect cleaning crews when removing bird droppings, nesting materials and debris.
- View ProductReg. Price: $79.99$69.99 EACHAdd to Cart